MEETING SAFETY TIPS
A message from GiftedConnect regarding COVID-19
At GiftedConnect we care about your health and safety. GiftedConnect is a safe place to meet new people and start meaningful relationships. We encourage you to stay informed and maintain a social distance, while still enjoying your search for that someone special. In addition to our Safety Tips below, for updated information on COVID-19, please visit the World Health Organization’s website at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
As you start your GiftedConnect journey, we want you to have a safe and fun experience on our site and app.
Our Trust & Safety and Customer Care teams have compiled a list of advice and tips so you can connect with other highly sensitive and/or gifted individuals while staying safe online. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us here…
HOW TO CONNECT
GiftedConnect provides the ability to physically meet other Highly Sensitive People and Gifted individuals. Site members may connect in the following ways:
- Meeting Other Parents
Note that when contacting other site members, you must respect the stated connection boundaries on their profile. For example, if a person’s profile does not state that they are open to dating, then it is inappropriate to contact them with the intention of exploring a romantic relationship.
Our Trust & Safety team works hard to ensure that you have the best possible experience. We routinely review accounts for inconsistent or suspect behavior. When communicating with or meeting someone, don’t ignore your instincts. In any circumstance, your judgment and intuition are necessary to protect yourself.
USE GIFTEDCONNECT’S SECURE MESSAGING
Always be wary of someone who immediately requests to move communication off the GiftedConnect platform. Users who don’t have the best intentions, try to take the interaction off the GiftedConnect site as soon as possible.
NEVER SHARE FINANCIAL OR PRIVATE INFORMATION
- Never give out your credit card number or bank account information.
- Never share your Social Security Number, mother’s maiden name or other private information like your address that can be used to access your financial information.
- Never send money or goods to a person.
- GiftedConnect will not call you about your account unless you have already discussed/requested a call back with an agent.
- GiftedConnect will never ask for your full financial details over the phone. You may be asked for the last 4 digits of your payment method to verify that you are the owner of the account.
- In some cases, we will send you a link via email to update your payment details.
- GiftedConnect will never charge you for performing customer care operations.
Please stop communicating with a site user that pressures you for this information and report the user to GiftedConnect. You can view how to report a match here. This will escalate your concern to our Trust & Safety team for review.
USE YOUR BEST JUDGMENT
Always trust your judgement when you’re on GiftedConnect. If you’re feeling like a user has bad intentions, it’s better to be safe and pause communication. Here’s a list of common red flags when you’re getting to know someone new:
- Claims to be from the U.S. but is currently living, working or traveling abroad.
- Claims they are experiencing an emergency situation that requires your assistance, in either goods (i.e. computers or gift cards) or money.
- Disappears suddenly from the site then reappears under a different name.
- Wants the relationship to progress faster than you are comfortable going.
- Messages are poorly written and escalate quickly from introduction to a deeper connection.
- Asks inappropriate questions.
- Tells inconsistent or exaggerated stories.
- Gives vague answers to specific questions.
- Urges you to compromise your principles.
- Constantly blames others for troubles in his or her life.
- Insists on getting overly close, very fast.
- Claims to be recently widowed.
- Always reach out to our Customer Care team directly from our webpage and not from external sources. We can be reached on the Contact page.
PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT IN PUBLIC
When accessing your account from a public or shared computer, use caution and be aware of your surroundings so that others are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SAFE
- Never include your last name, email address, home address, telephone number, place of work or any other identifying information in your profile or email messages during early communication. You can use our secure GiftedConnect Messaging process to protect your identity.
- Once you’ve given out personal information, you cannot take it back.
- GiftedConnect will never ask you to download additional apps or programs
DO YOUR RESEARCH
- We encourage you to do your own research before meeting someone in person. This type of search can include:
- Typing the person’s name into a search engine
- Searching social media profiles, etc.
- Pay attention to the details your match shares with you. If something doesn’t feel right, trust your judgement and stop communicating with them.
BE CAREFUL OF URL LINKS IN EMAILS
- If you receive a message with a link (most commonly directing to view photos), please know that GiftedConnect does not have a place outside of the profile, to view photos.
- Use good judgment and be cautious when deciding to click on any URL links. In particular, be aware of links that lead to web pages which look similar or identical to the GiftedConnect homepage, including its log-in fields. These links are typically sent as attempts to “phish” for log-in information from users in order to compromise user accounts. – Not familiar with “Phishing”? Please visit our help pages
- Report any phishing scams to our Trust & Safety team by reporting the user to GiftedConnect. You can view how to report a user here.
MEETING FOR THE FIRST TIME
Meeting in person is exciting. Have fun and explore the level of chemistry you share with your date while keeping your safety as your first priority. These tips can help you feel comfortable when you meet your matches in person:
- For your first few dates, meet your date in a public place. If your date pressures you to meet at their house or at an isolated place, please cancel the date.
- When it comes to drug and alcohol consumption, don’t let your date pressure you to do something you’re not comfortable with. Know your limits and be confident in your decisions.
- Use your own transportation, so you can leave when you want to. Never agree to be picked up at your home and wherever possible, drive yourself or use a ride-share app.
- Tell at least one friend or family member about your plans and when you will return. Arrange to check in with them after each of the first few dates.
- Carry a fully charged mobile phone with easily accessible emergency numbers.
- Make sure your purse and any drinks are always kept within eyesight.
MATCH TERMINATION NOTIFICATION
In the event GiftedConnect removes a person/closes an account for suspicious activity or inappropriate behavior or falsified information, you may be notified via email to discontinue communicating with the person in question. We strongly encourage all of our members to review emails received from GiftedConnect to ensure this communication is received promptly.
KEEP IT POSITIVE
Not every person is going to be right for you, so closing communication with people and having people close communication with you is a natural and healthy part of the process. It can be hard to be rejected or close off communication with someone, but if you do, please be honest, direct and polite.
If you are in immediate danger, please call 911 or the number of emergency services in your area. Below are resources that can provide advice and support if you’ve had a bad experience with a match. We would like you to report any bad dates or violent incidents to our Trust & Safety team, so that we can take the appropriate action. You can view how to report a match here.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255 | https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline
Call 800.656.4673 | https://hotline.rainn.org/online
National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE (7233) | https://www.thehotline.org/
National Sexual Violence Resource Center
1-877-739-3895 | https://www.nsvrc.org/
National Human Trafficking Hotline
1-888-272-7888 or text 233733 I https://humantraffickinghotline.org/
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
LGBT National Help Center
1-888-843-4564 | https://www.glbtnationalhelpcenter.org